Another play order arrived from Ponoko, this time its a *secret*.
To get the best value out of the postage though, I tagged along several test pieces of the materials I was interested in :-
- Corrugated Card Double Layer 6.0 mm
- PETG Clear 0.5 mm
- Felt Blue 3.0 mm
- Acrylic Clear TRANSPARENT 2.0 mm
- Styrene White 1.0 mm
- Bamboo Ply 3.0 mm
Summary : PETG & Cardboard look AWESOME. Wonder why people don’t use the 6mm double layer cardboard more on Ponoko…
Read(view) on for more photos.
Panels 2 (Angled because of the glare from my light on the plastics)
Radiation warning comparison
Bullet point thoughts
- The cardboard cuts and “engraves” (cuts throught a single layer really) beautifully!!!
- Both vector and raster engraving on the PETG look quite nice too, and would make wonderful business cards.
- The blue felt cut and engraved nicely, but smelt like $@#$%!#$@#.
- The 2mm acrylic cuts very nicely and very strong for what evil purpose I have in mind for it 🙂 Buahahahaha. It engraves quite nicely too but there’s a bit of white powdery residue that could be cleaned off.
- The styrene melts too easily. Cutting and engraving melts the styrene too easily and small detail is easily lost. You also can’t really see any engraving on it anyway… what a waste.
PS : Erm no bamboo photos because I haven’t unpacked the bamboo pieces…