I have only just realised what a misnomer the term ‘webcam’ is but can’t seem to think of something better. Anyway quick post to upload a Python ‘Webcam’ HTTP Streamer.
I found mjpg-streamer but it wasn’t quite right –
- I had to compile (cross-compile!) it each time I wanted to use it (hard to share…)
- I couldn’t embed it easily with existing programs (to share same http port) etc.
- It seemed to use a lot of CPU when it had to compress the images using libjpeg
So I decided to ‘Google’ around and look for a V4L2 binding for Python and couldn’t seem to find anything… only did I realize Pygame has this inbuilt already but no one seems to mention it! So to keep things short, here it is :-
- http://<ipaddress>:8080/GetStream – This gets you the multipart/jpeg stream
- http://<ipaddress>:8080/GetImage – This gets you a single image
Framerates, ports (default 8080 in above examples), resolutions are in the source file for you to customize – go for it.